Tuesday 22 May 2012

It would seem I'm now 38

On Sunday 20th May, I turned 38.   I'm not feeling older or upset that I'm 38 or anything, in fact it was a bit of an odd day.

Odd in the fact that I ended up having most of the day to myself at home.  That is the rarest of rare things and something I'm always wishing for and when I finally had the chance to enjoy it, I was very lost indeed.


My morning began VERY early.  4.45am to be exact because the UEFA Champions League final between Chelsea and Bayern Munich was on. 

I know that I'm doing lots of crafty things these days but that still hasn't dulled my love for sport and the fact that I'll get up at ridiculous times during the night to watch it.

Once the kidlettes were up though it's all about presents and who cares what sport is on.  I got croissants and a cup of tea in bed for breakfast and I also got some fantastic presents.  The books in the above photo is what the kidlettes gave me and I have to admit they chose pretty well didn't they?

Luckily they have a mother that buys her own presents, wraps them up, presents them to her husband and says "this is from the kids."  I don't think I'd get anything otherwise but I'm sure many of you have had the same experience.


My sister gave me some fabulous material and pattens as well as some facial products which I'm loving so much.  How good is a present of fabric really!  I nearly need to buy and wear Poise it's so exciting.

I've also got some other lovely pattern making books as well as some more cotton to finish making my bedspread.  These were Mother's Day presents and not birthday presents though.  One thing I've realised since having children is that Mother's Day here in Australia is usually about a week before my birthday so I get two extra special days within a short amount of time.  It's quite satisfactory I can tell you. :)


When it comes to surprise presents that I don't have to buy and wrap myself, you really can't beat my girl.  She had $5 to spend and went off to the shops with her Nana to buy something special for Mummy. 

In the last couple of years she's bought something herself and she really has delivered.

This year she bought a vanilla candle.  I love candles although I don't use them often in this old house these days.  Vanilla is my favourite scent though so she really chose well on that one.  I did get an empty jar but my girl told me this was to hold bright coloured buttons in. (My buttons are all in old jam or pasta sauce jars).

She also bought some pins for me because I'm doing so much sewing lately.  How sweet and thoughtful is this little girl! (Just for the record..Master M wanted to buy me $5 worth of chocolate.)


Back to my birthday though.  Not long after breaky, hubby announced that he was taking the kidlettes and himself off to my brother's place so they could all go fishing.  They were gone for most of the day which left me with a whole day to myself.

What an absolute joy and how precious is having time like this to myself?  So amazing.

I realise that I am a planner though and I wandered around for a few hours, not being able to settle because I couldn't work out what I wanted to do.  (If he'd given me a day's notice I probably would've had a fantastic day with NO INDECISION at all.)

I was nearly despairing of completely wasting a day, and not just any day but my BIRTHDAY until my sister arrived and gave me the following.....


The Hunger Games book which she had told me about after she saw the movie.  I had never heard of it because I don't watch tv (unless it's sport) and sometimes feel completely disconnected from what's going on in the world. 

It's been YEARS since I went to watch a movie at a cinema and I have no idea what's even on but when Sandy told me about this, I was immediately intrigued by the possibilities of such a situation.

In the end I sat and read it for hours and was a bit peeved when the family came home because it interrupted my reading time.

(It wasn't because they were all covered in mud so needed clothes soaked, they were cold and yelling for a bath, or that they were hungry....as daddy forgot to feed them..... so they were in desperate need of food)  I'd certainly not be peeved about my quiet time being interrupted by that!


Anyway.  The kidlettes are fed and clean, the washing's all done, hubby's home for this week so I get a bit of extra help and I also get a bit more of a chance to crochet a few more rounds and read some more of my book. 

Silver linings indeed.
38 really is starting out pretty good.


xx Susan

P.S. Thanks for the birthday wishes Kylie.  Next time we head that way we'll seriously consider calling into say hello rather than sit in roadworks for that long!  Bloody ridiculous!  Miss you. xxx

No comments: