Saturday 23 March 2013

The Stitches and Caft Show

On Friday my sister Sandra and I headed down to Brisbane to the Stitches and Craft Show that was on at the Convention Centre.
 
We'd never been before and decided to do something different and head into the city for a look.
 
Being a stitches and craft show it obviously has lots of stalls of all things stitchy and crafty.  That means fabric for quilting, scrapbooking, beading, yarn, books, trims and heaps more for your crafting needs.
 
There were also some displays from quilters, the lace guild, tapestries, embroidery and my favourite section which was outfits made by high school students.
 
Some of these were awesome including the music inspired dress below.
 
 


There are some very talented teenagers out there I can tell you.
 
 

 
Sorry but it wasn't easy getting photos and in some areas no photos were allowed to be taken at all.
 

 
The skirt on the one below was hand felted and other material joined in with the felt then sewn together.  They certainly make my sewing efforts look pretty feeble.
 

 
I was very interested in the beautiful skeins of wool to be found but I have to admit there weren't too many stalls with yarn. 



There were a few stalls with lots of gorgeous trim but I was a bit overwhelmed by the sheer quantities that I ended up not even bothering to get any.
 

 
Anyone want some Washi tape?

 
One of my favourite stalls was Miss Rose, Sister Violet which was full of very girly lace trim and goodies.  Much of it was vintage or vintage inspired and I adored the vintage lace outfits they had there. 

 
 
The lace was just beautiful.
 

 
I did find something that my little boy would absolutely love.  A quilt that seems to be made just for him.  I may have to try and source this awesome material and make something for him.
 

 
There was plenty of other things to look at but as I said, you couldn't take a lot of photos and what I did take wasn't very good quality.  One of my favourite stalls where no photos could be taken was full of handmade and handpainted porcelain buttons.  They were absolutely gorgeous and I couldn't work out what I really wanted to buy so I left with their brochure knowing that I can shop online.  If you like buttons then head over to CheraBella Buttons for a looksy.
 
There were also lots of workshops going on around the place too.  Some were free and others you paid for but you could have a go at nearly any kind of craft you wanted.
 
I didn't come away empty handed either.  I just had to buy some gorgeously soft skeins of yarn.  It's 40% silk and 60% mohair and I know is going to be a delight to work with.  Now I just have to find the perfect project to show off the colour and justify the expense!
 

 
 
On a whim I also bought some wool so I can do some felting.  I've wanted to have a go at this for awhile and now I've got some wool so I can get started (knowing me it won't be straight away!)
 
 

 
 
It was a lovely day out although I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of people there and also everything that was on offer. 
 
The best thing about the whole day was that I got to spend it with my sister and that it always something to celebrate and enjoy.
 
xx Susan

No comments: