Thursday 8 August 2013

An afternoon walk

My sister called Sunday afternoon to see if we would like to go for a walk with her, her husband and the two dogs. It was such a beautiful winter's day that there was no way we were staying at home.
 
We headed up to Ewan Maddock Dam which is about 10 minutes from our house and to a part of the dam I had never been to before. 
 
I've been to other parts of the dam but not this spot and was amazed that I've lived in this area all my life and am still finding these pockets of loveliness around the place.
 
 
The first part of the walk is along a causeway with the dam on one side and a weed choked part of the dam on the other.  There were plenty of rocks of course so Master M got to indulge in his favourite pastime of throwing rocks in the water.
 
Once over the causeway you head up into the bush and can take a few different trails.  One of them is a riding trail and the kids got to use their tracking skills to find the horse prints.
 
One of the tracks takes you by the edge of the dam and to a special spot.

 
There was a beautiful little area where the dogs could swim (and the kids in summer). 

 
There was a shady, open area near it where I've decided we could bring an afternoon picnic once school is finished some days.

 
Master M spent most of his time at this spot throwing a chunk of wood in the water for the dogs to fetch.


Dogs and child loved this game.
 

 
Meanwhile Little Miss R had my small camera and wandered around taking photos.

 
We continued on down some other tracks, past more pretty spots and little beaches.


Then it was back along the causeway to the car with everyone really relaxed after having a wonderful walk.

 
The plan is to bring Patch up here now but I'll wait until hubby comes home before I do it the first time.  Once he gets used to it then the kids, dog and I can definitely come up after school some days for a nice walk.
 
xx Susan

No comments: